What does science and technology deal with? In which paper of mains questions from this topic are asked?
GS 3 covers the section of science and Technology. A very small and concise part is asked from this area. The topic deals with the latest advancements in the science sector and how we should deal with it. It deals with new technology and its general importance . It deals with the understanding of how social, cultural and material elements influence the production of new practices, new ways of understanding and new institutions is vital in our understanding of contemporary postmodern society.
What is the UPSC Syllabus for Science and Technology ?
The topic of science and tech is very small and so is the syllabus :
Developments & their Applications & Effects in Everyday Life
Chemicals in Food: Artificial Sweetening Agents, Food Preservatives;
Drugs: Antacid, Antihistamines, Neurologically Active Drugs -Tranquilizers,
Analgesics; Antimicrobials – Antibiotics, Antiseptic and Disinfectant, Anti-Fertility Drugs, etc.
Cleansing Agents: Soaps, Synthetic detergents
Glass, Water Softener, Water Purification/Disinfection, Microwave Oven, etc.
Achievements of Indians in Science & Technology
Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman
Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose
Satyendra Nath Bose
Homi Jehangir Bhabha
A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Har Gobind Khorana
Indigenization of Technology & Developing New Technology
IT & Computers
Awareness in Different Fields
IT & Computers
Issues Relating to Intellectual Property Rights
Need for Intellectual Property Rights
Types of IPR
IPR Regime in India
International Agreements Related to IPRs
Recent Issues – Ever greening, Compulsory Licensing, Prominent Cases, etc.
What should be the preferred plan to cover the topic? How should an aspirant start the preparation?
Science and Technology is considered to be one of the abstract subjects that follow no fixed pattern or syllabus for both UPSC CS Prelims and Mains. However, the past year trend analysis clearly shows that questions from this subject are analytical in nature. Hence, the following strategy will be useful to kick-start your science and technology preparation for UPSC:
- Strengthen your foundation : It is very important to have a crystal clear understanding of the basic concepts of the topics mentioned in the syllabus. Reading NCERTs from Class VI to X will introduce you to the basics of the subject.
- Current Affairs : It has been observed that questions pertaining to current developments are often asked in UPSC CS Prelims as well as Mains. Hence, leverage editorials from the Hindu and the Indian Express to its fullest potential. Make small notes of the pointers for any recent development in the field of science. It includes space exploration missions, advancement in Artificial Intelligence, medications, reports surrounding spread of diseases and its containment using scientific methods, etc. Further, you should expect a lot of questions from Science & technology this year owing to the ever-changing advancements surrounding COVID crisis management. Hence, you should regularly read about the reports on vaccine testing as well as the virus spread across the globe.
- Mock Tests : Solve a lot of mock tests and sectional tests. You can purchase Science & Technology Question Bank for Civil Services Examination by TMH publication for practicing the questions for Prelims.
- Practice answer-writing : For mains, practice answer-writing as much as possible and get your answers evaluated by your mentors. For science & tech, it is important to follow a diagram-based approach as well as add factual information for making your answers
What books should an aspirant refer for the topic? Are there any standard books?
- NCERTs (Class VI to X)
- Developments in Science and Technology by Kalpana Rajaram
- Science and Technology for Civil Services Examination by Ravi Agrahari