Tamil language is a Dravidian language which has a long standing history of texts and documents. The tamil literature is one of the optional in UPSC CSE Exam. The subject is chosen widely by the students hailing from south India as they are quite well versed and familiar with the language. For anyone who wish to choose the subject ,must have a clear interest in the same . The literature subject usually covers the history of the language to its historical text. You will be required to read a lot of books for the same.
The syllabus and booklist has been mentioned below for a better understanding of the aspirants.
History of Tamil Language
Major Indian Language Families-The place of Tamil among Indian languages in general and Dravidian in particular-Enumeration and Distribution of Dravidian languages.
The language of Sangam literature-The language of medieval Tamil: Pallava period only-Historical study of Nouns, Verbs, adjectives, adverbs Tense markers and case markers in Tamil.
Borrowing of words from other languages into Tamil-Regional and social dialects-difference between literary and spoken Tamil.
1.History of Tamil Literature
Tolkappiyam-Sangam Literature-The division of Akam and puram-The secular characteristics of Sangam Literature-The development of Ethical literature-Silappadikaram and Manimekalai.
III Devotional literature
Alwars and Nayanmars) The bridal mysticism in Alwar hymns-Minor literary forms (Tutu, Ula, Parani, Kuravanji)
Social factors for the development of Modern Tamil literature: Novel, Short story and New Poetry-The impact of various political ideologies on modern writings.
1.Recent trends in Tamil Studies
Approaches to criticism: Social, psychological, historical and moralistic-the use of criticism-the various techniques in literature: Ullurai, Iraicchi, Thonmam (Myth) Otturuvagam (allegory), Angadam (Satire), Meyppadu, Padimam(image), Kuriyeedu (Symbol), Irunmai (ambiguity)-The concep[t of the comparative literature-the principle of comparative literature.
Folk literature in Tamil: Ballads, Songs, proverbs and riddles-Sociological study of Tamil folklore. Uses of translation-Translation of Tamil works into other languages-Development of journalism in Tamil.
III. Cultural Heritage of the Tamils
Concept of Love and War-Concept of Aram-the ethical codes adopted by the ancient Tamils in their warfare-customs, beliefs, rituals, modes of worship in the five Thinais. The cultural changes as revealed in post sangam literature-cultural fusion in the medieval period (Jainism & Buddhism). The development of arts and architecture through the ages (Pallavas, later cholas, and Nayaks). The impact of various political, social, religious and cultural movements on Tamil Society. The role of mass media in the cultural change of contemporary Tamil society
(1) Kuruntokai (1-25 poems)
(2) Purananurui (182-200 poems)
(3) Tirukkural Porutpal : Arasiyalum Amaichiyalum (from Iraimatchi to Avaianjamai)
(1) Silappadikaram: Madhurai Kandam only.
(2) Kambaramayanam: Kumbakarunan Vadhai PadalamIII. Devotional Literature
(3) Tiruvasagam: Neetthal Vinnappam
(4) Tiruppavai: (Full Text)
(1) Bharathiar: Kannan Pattu
(2) Bharathidasan: Kudumba Vilakku
(3) Naa. Kamarasan: Karuppu Malarkal
(1) Mu. Varadharajanar. Aramum Arasiyalum
(2) C N Annadurai: Ye! Thazhntha Tamilagame.
III. Novel, Short story and Drama
(1) Akilon: Chittirappavai
(2) Jayakanthan: Gurupeedam
(3) Cho: Yarukkum Vetkamillai
(1) Muthuppattan Kathai Edited by Na. Vanamamalai, (Publication: Madurai Kamaraj University)
(2) Malaiyaruvi, Edited by Ki. Va Jagannathan (Publication: Saraswathi, Mahal, Thanjavur)
- Tamil mozhi varalaru – Su. Sakthivel
- Mozhi nool – Mu. Varadarasanar
- Mozhi varalaru – Mu. Varadarasanar
- Tamil ilakkiya varalaru – Mu. Varadarasanar
- Tamil ilakkiya varalaru – Thamizannal
- Tamil ilakkiya varalaru – Madhu Sa. Vimalanandam
- Oppilakkiya kotpaadu – Ka.Na.Kailasapathy
- Naatupura iyal aaivu – Su.Sakthivel
- Ulaga sevviyal mozhigalin varisaiyil tamil – V.C. Kulandaisamy
- Valluvar padaikkum vaiyathu sorkkam – V.C. Kulandaisamy
- Tamil mozhiyum varalarum – Devira
- Tamil thiranaaivum panpaadum – Devira
- Tamizhar valartha azhagu kalaigal – Mayilai seeni Vengadasamy
- Ithazhiyal – Su. Sakthivel
- Tholkappiar Kanda Samudaayam – Dr. Natesan